How An Appetite Suppressant Can Help You Achieve Your Weight Loss Goals
Our eating habits have the biggest impact on our ability to lose weight, and anyone that’s struggled with a diet before will know just how hard it is to curb the cravings. Appetite suppressants come in a variety of forms and with different uses, designed to help you resist reaching for unhealthy snacks or overindulging.
When trying to lose weight, some might find that diet and exercise alone isn’t enough. Whether you’ve hit a plateau in your weight loss journey and want to kick start your metabolism or just want to give yourself a fighting chance to lose weight, appetite suppressants can be useful for many reasons.
However, there are many harmful products which claim to be the best appetite suppressant pills. These are often filled with dangerous additives and chemicals that can be detrimental to your health, doing you more harm than good in the long run.
For this reason, it’s best to stick to all natural sources which can be found in appetite suppressants that work. With natural ingredients, you’re able to reap all of the benefits of these products but without the nasty side effects of dangerous drugs.
How do Appetite Suppressants Work
Appetite suppressants work in a number of ways, depending on their ingredients. Their main goal is to curb your appetite so that you’re less likely to eat large meals or snack throughout the day.
An appetite suppressant curbs your appetite by manipulating hormones and chemicals within your body so that you no longer feel hungry. Whether they give you a feeling of fullness after eating a meal that lasts longer than usual, or completely block any hunger pangs you might have, these suppressants are effective in aiding weight loss.
Some appetite suppressants work to boost your metabolism so that you’re able to burn calories faster. Finding a healthy and natural alternative to an OTC appetite suppressant can work in all three ways to aid weight loss, but also ensure that you don’t suffer from dangerous side effects that are common with these pills.
When to Use an Appetite Suppressant
Appetite suppressants aren’t designed to be a permanent fix, however, they are useful for providing a quick fix to many diet and lifestyle problems. Here are just a few reasons why taking a natural appetite suppressant might be beneficial for you.
- Weight loss – The most common reason why people reach for an appetite suppressant is when they’re about to embark on a new diet and exercise regime. As appetite suppressants not only curb your hunger but also help to speed up your metabolism, they’re the perfect addition to healthy eating and working out which can boost results significantly.
- Changing your habits – Even if you’re not trying to shed pounds, using an appetite suppressant can be a handy way to give up sugary snacks and fatty foods. As you’re less likely to snack on unhealthy choices if you’re not hungry, this can be the ideal way to give up sugar and processed junk for good. By using a suppressant you can see the triggers you used to have such as boredom or stress which made you reach for food, and work to change these.
- Reduce your meal sizes – One of the key reasons that people struggle with their weight comes down to portion sizes. Many Americans eat meals much larger than they need to be and end up overindulging. An appetite suppressant can make you feel fuller more quickly so you can learn to eat smaller meals and change these habits permanently.
- Hitting a plateau – If you’re on a weight loss journey it can be frustrating when you hit the inevitable wall and weight stops shifting. Plateaus are natural parts of weight loss, but using an appetite suppressant can help to give your metabolism a kick start and renew your ability to drop the pounds quickly.
Benefits of a Natural Appetite Suppressant
Other than the obvious benefits of rapid weight loss, there are many advantages that come with using a natural appetite suppressant safely and correctly.
- Energy – Natural appetite suppressants often contain ingredients that give you energy as well. This energy is valuable when committing to a new exercise regime, and can help you get through the day without relying on gorging yourself on food.
- Self-esteem – With weight loss and a healthy lifestyle comes the inevitable boost in self-esteem. Using appetite suppressants can be an easy way to boost your confidence when you see the amazing results your weight loss journey has achieved.
- Motivation – Each day that goes by on your diet where you stick to smart choices helps to make you even more motivated to reach the end goal. When you’re feeling unmotivated or stuck on a diet, using an appetite suppressant can get your revved up again and boost your willpower.
- Reduce your risk of illness and disease – When appetite suppressants have been successful in helping you lose weight, you’re also treating your body to a lower risk of diseases. Conditions such as diabetes and heart disease are more common in overweight people, so an appetite suppressant can bring you within a healthy weight range.
Finding the Best Appetite Suppressant for You
With so many different products on the market, such as an over the counter appetite suppressant or an herbal remedy, it can become confusing finding one that suits your needs. First, you’ll need to decide on your weight loss goals and then find a product that matches what you’re after.
As there can be many harmful chemicals and substances in even the best over the counter appetite suppressants, these are often found to be harmful to your health. Thankfully, there are amazing natural ingredients which offer great results for weight loss without any of the scary side effects.
For the most effective appetite suppressant, you should look for one that offers more than just one quality. A pill may be effective at curbing your appetite, but if you can get a product that does this as well as speeds up metabolism and gives you an energy boost, it’s going to have a greater impact on your results.
The Danger of Appetite Suppressant Pills
An appetite suppressant over the counter has the potential to be harmful, so you need to be aware of possibly dangerous ingredients. Diet pills purchased over the counter and those acquired with a prescription may be great at curbing your appetite and seem appealing, but they can have consequences for your mental and physical wellbeing.
There have been many reports of supposedly natural appetite suppressant supplements actually being filled with other dangerous additives, causing cardiac issues, headaches, vomiting, and anxiety. Medications designed to curb your appetite are generally filled with strong compounds such as stimulants, diuretics, and antidepressants that can have disastrous effects, so many choose to go natural.
If you do decide on a natural appetite suppressant, you should always follow the directions and manufacturer’s guidelines specifically. Although it can be tempting to increase the recommended dose for faster results, this could be hazardous to your health.
Taking appetite suppressants should never replace your food intake, so you need to ensure you’re reaching the recommended caloric intake for your body weight and composition. Starving yourself or reducing your calories further can have an adverse effect on weight loss, as your body tries to store what little food it receives rather than burning it off.
Natural Appetite Suppressant Supplements
After the alarming evidence found from taking over the counter and prescription appetite suppressants, it’s good to know that there are some effective and completely natural alternatives available. Many people favor these natural supplements as they’re less likely to leave you with bad side effects but are still potent enough to aid your weight loss.
A slightly new entrant to the world of natural appetite suppressants, Forskolin is an extract derived from a plant in the mint family. This herb has many active compounds that are responsible for curbing appetite, boosting energy, and improving your metabolism.
A study conducted a few years ago found that overweight subjects who took a Forskolin supplement lost almost eight times more body fat than those who did not. Since this product has been used for many years to treat blood pressure problems and digestive issues, it makes sense that it is now gaining popularity for its appetite suppressing abilities too.
One of the most popular and easy to access natural appetite suppressants, caffeine is regularly consumed by many Americans every day. Whether you enjoy a cup of tea or coffee at work or prefer a more potent strength in a capsule, there have been numerous studies which show caffeine is a useful appetite suppressant.
Caffeine is believed to both suppress hunger and burn calories, making it an effective choice for short term weight loss. Since it’s so affordable, it’s often a popular choice for keeping hunger at bay. However, when taken in large amounts it can make you feel dizzy, anxious, and unable to sleep.
Green Tea Extract
For a great blend of fat burning and antioxidants, green tea extract is a popular choice for an appetite suppressant. While green tea itself is a common drink, the extract is even more potent and provides great fat burning qualities.
Green tea extract features both caffeine and catechin, a natural phenol and antioxidant, so it has double the powers for helping you to lose weight. These products work together to burn calories, give you energy, and reduce your hunger pangs. However, you should never take more than the recommended dose as it does have high levels of caffeine and can cause some mild side effects.
Apple Cider Vinegar
Favored by celebrities and a popular choice of the natural health community, apple cider vinegar is useful for more than just cooking. Having just a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar is said to reduce your appetite and make you feel fuller for longer, so it’s a great choice for weight loss.
Vinegar itself has been shown to slow digestion, so when taken with a meal you’re able to stretch out this satisfaction for longer. If taken before eating, the apple cider vinegar will reduce your appetite as well, so it works in two ways. More research needs to be conducted about its benefits, but as a healthy ingredient, it can’t hurt to give it a shot.
This citrus fruit may have a complicated name, but it’s referred to by many as a wonder fruit responsible for aiding weight loss. The Garcinia Cambodia works in a few ways to curb appetite and reduce blood sugar levels, so it’s great for more than just weight loss.
In addition to an appetite suppressant, there are some natural ways in which you can suppress your appetite with thanks to simple ingredients. These foods provide naturally occurring appetite suppressants, so they’re ideal for adding to your healthy eating plan for faster results.
- Almonds – Just a single handful of almonds has been shown to suppress appetite by making you feel full for hours, so they’re the ideal snack for those who are trying to lose weight.
- Ginger – Adding ginger to your smoothies, cooking, and salad dressings can boost your metabolism and give you an increase in energy, just like an appetite suppressant.
- Avocado – One of the healthiest sources of fat available, eating avocado fills you up and signals to your brain that it’s full so you’re less likely to opt for an after-dinner treat.
- Cayenne pepper – There’s a good reason why this stuff was hailed as a breakthrough in weight loss recently, as cayenne pepper actually burns calories on its own and provides your body with a boost to its metabolism.
- Lemons – Start your day with a warm cup of water and lemon and reap the benefits of this citrus fruit. Lemon is great for not only boosting metabolism but also curbing appetite, so it has a double attack.
Simple Tricks to Suppress Your Appetite Naturally
If you’re still hesitant to try a natural appetite suppressant but feel that your weight loss has plateaued, there are a few ways you can try to change your eating habits. By making gradual but realistic changes to your everyday routine, you can ensure that these new habits become permanent ones that you carry through life.
How we eat our food is just as important as what we eat, so take your time to enjoy the flavors and textures. By taking smaller bites, you’re giving your brain time to catch up to your stomach so that you’ll feel full with less food than usual. Eating with purpose and focusing on what you’re doing is another great way to fill up, so avoid doing anything else while you enjoy a meal.
Start your day right with a full breakfast, as studies have shown that people who skip breakfast are 40% more likely to snack on sweets throughout the day. Replace just one of your usual snacks with a 15-minute walk as well, and you’ll notice a significant drop in calories. The endorphins you get from exercising will help curb further hunger too, so it’s a win-win.
Finally, filling up on healthy fats is a great way to lose weight. Though it may sound counterintuitive, foods such as avocado and olive oil actually send messages to your brain saying it’s full so you need less of it to get satisfied.
How to Speed up Results of Your Suppressants
While you may be tempted to rely on your appetite suppressants to do all of the work for you, the easiest way to get faster and more permanent results is with a bit of hard work and future planning. Here are some other things which may be impacting your weight loss, and how to rectify them.
- Diet – Although fairly obvious, many people overlook their food choices when they take an appetite suppressant and hope the pill will do everything for them. If you’re overweight, the chances are your eating habits need adjusting anyway, so with a few smart choices you can reduce your calories and eat foods that will keep you fuller for longer.
- Exercise – Regular exercise is a necessity in not only shifting fat but also preventing water retention too. With excess fat and water weight, your scales are going to sit a lot higher than you’d like, and one of the most effective ways to combat this is with exercise. Opt for something that offers a mix or cardio and strength for the quickest weight loss results.
- Sleep – Ensuring you get enough sleep is one of the easiest ways to help your weight loss progress, so you should aim for at least 7 to 9 hours a night. Without adequate rest, you’re less likely to have energy for exercise, your insulin resistance will be poor, and you won’t feel motivated to prepare healthy meals for yourself.
- Hydration – There are many ways water can aid weight loss, so you need to drink at least 8 cups a day to reap the benefits. Water between meals can help you feel full, prevent water retention, and even enjoying a glass of cold water will burn further calories as your body tries to bring it to an ideal temperature.
- Stress levels – According to WebMD, when we’re stressed in high levels we produce more of the hormone cortisol. Cortisol, when raised, can cause your blood sugar to drop so that you crave more sugary and fatty foods. It’s essential to take time out to relax and enjoy life so that your appetite suppressants have a chance to do their work.
- Health conditions – If you’ve truly tried everything to lose weight and find that diet and exercise aren’t making the scales shift, there may be a medical condition behind it. Hypothyroidism, Syndrome X, and Cushing’s syndrome are just a few conditions that may be preventing weight loss. Speak to your doctor if you believe there’s something more to your inability to drop the pounds.
Maintaining Your Weight Loss Once You Reach Your Goal
As you reach your goal weight, you may be wondering about how to maintain this healthy range and avoid the poor choices which got you here in the first place. Although appetite suppressants are ideal for helping to shift the pounds that are harder to move, they’re not ideal as a long-term solution.
Once you’ve achieved your weight loss goal, it’s important to maintain it. Use your newfound knowledge about diet and exercise to keep yourself on track and weigh yourself regularly to check in and see how you’re doing. After time, your newfound eating habits and love for exercise will become second nature to you.
If you find that your weight becomes an issue again, it’s okay to reach for the appetite suppressants to help. Provided you are looking at your eating and lifestyle habits to see where you went wrong, these can be a supportive aid to getting back on track.
When used correctly, an appetite suppressant should be the perfect addition to a healthy eating and exercise plan so that all three work in conjunction to provide you with optimal weight loss and curb appetite as you progress. Once you’ve shed the pounds you need only to continue with smart food choices and regular exercise to maintain your great new physique.